The Site Today

  • The Grand Union Canal was commissioned under an Act of Parliament in 1793
  • The Canal was completed in 1797 and officially opened in 1799
  • In 1848 the first buildings at Bulbourne Yard were completed
  • Bulbourne Yard was used primarily for the construction of lock gates and supporting infrastructure
  • In 2003 lock gate production moved off the site
  • The Yard became the operational presence for Canal and River Trust but the majority of site remained vacant
  • Many of the buildings and structures need urgent investment to retain their fabric and structure